Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kitchen Sink Cookies

I love wedding season. I was fortunate enough to travel to Michigan and Ohio this weekend for a friend's awesome wedding. During my short trip I was able to grab brunch with two college friends. My one friend, Brigid...shout out to Brigid!!! Being the deep and philosophical thinker that she is, she asked me, "what exactly is a cookie?" I had never thought about what makes a cookie a cookie.

The word "cookie" is derived from the Dutch word. "koekje" which means "little cake". After a little research I realized that the difference lies more in the method then in the ingredients. Cakes also contain a larger liquid to dry ratio yielding a batter instead of a dough. I am sure there are many more differences, but my time is precious during these days leading up to my sister's wedding.

Below is one of my favorite go-to cookie recipes...I think I like this cookie, because just like me it is indecisive. : )

Kitchen Sink Cookies
from Martha Stewart
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Stir in vanilla.
  3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir into butter mixture until well blended. Add oats, chips, coconut, raisins, and walnuts, and stir until well blended.
  4. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons or with a 1 ounce ice-cream scoop about 2 inches apart. Press tops down with the bottom of a glass to flatten cookies evenly. Bake until golden, about 16 to 18 minutes. Cool on pan for 2 minutes. Remove from pan, and finish cooling completely on wire rack.

6 comments:

  1. These certainly look good, Dagny. Will have to try them soon! ;0)

    Great blog, btw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I spied coconut in that picture. Awesome post, Dagny! Keep the creative and delicious cookie recipes (and pictures!) coming!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were awesome! I made them tonight despite the 110 degree temp in the kitchen, b/c they looked so delicious. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heart these cookies, they are so comforting to me : ) Glad you liked them Therese! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I don't make cookies often, but the next time I do, I think it'll be these. You can't go wrong with oatmeal chocolate chip.

    I'm curious, though, about the photo: are those spherical cookies, or do you really bake them that close together, or did you simply scoop out all the dough into balls and take the photo before arranging the balls on the baking sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben, I arrange all my unbaked cookies like that on a tray and then freeze them...that way I don't have to eat them all at once. : ) Then whenever I want a fresh baked cookie I pull one from the oven and bake it...yum yum. I would be curious to see how that would bake like that though...a giant cookie cake?

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!