Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies, the Holy grail of recipes

I really hope there are chocolate chip cookies in heaven
If you knew how many chocolate chip cookie recipes I have tested in my lifetime you would be shocked! I have spent hours pouring through cookbooks and websites trying to uncover the secrets of making THE chocolate chip cookie. There are so many ideas out there! Melting the butter, dissolving the baking soda in water, adding cream of tartar, using bread flour, chilling the batter, clicking your heels three times and then jumping...really the tricks are endless. I finally realized that the trick to achieving the ultimate chocolate chip cookie is the process. You treat your ingredients well and in return they will reward you with a lovely cookie. Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature, and make sure you scrape down the bowl often.

After comparing hundreds of recipes I finally decided that this was the recipe for me. Thanks to Tyler Florence for this winner of a recipe...I didn't realize he was a cookie man, but now that I know I will have to try more of his recipes. I like this recipe because it is a nice balance of chewy and crispy, and just the right amount of sweetness.

My Big, Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies

adapted slightly from Tyler Florence

2 1/2 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, must be room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

2 large eggs, must be room temperature
8 oz block coarsely chopped chocolate or 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes, make sure you scrape the bowl down with a spatula at least once and then mix again for a few seconds. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth and no longer broken looking. Scrape down and mix again.
Mix the chocolate with the dry ingredients and add the to the wet. Mix until combined. Scrape, mix again briefly.
Measure 1/4 cup of dough and roll into balls, place on parchment and slightly push down tops. If you want your cookies to look even more impressive top each cookie with an extra 2-3 chocolate chunks. Bake 12 minutes for chewy, 15 minutes for slightly crispier.

FYI - My next post is my 100TH post...so keep your eyes open for a give away...and it might have something to do with cookies. : )

7 comments:

  1. we must try this recipes. choc. chip cookies are a weakness, but also a total failure when it comes to me baking them ( i can even make tiramisu, but make horrid ccc's every time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Let me know if you do try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying these. Have TAZA chocolate chunks. They are direct trade, so the farmer actually gets paid for the product. Darn good product too! It will definitely be a super cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to work on my first batch of cookies, choc chip my 6 yr old fav, will bookmark this recipe when I have time to work on it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to use one egg and one egg yolk for a chewier cookie... otherwise perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have tried the one egg, and one yolk trick with other versions. I will have to try that with this recipe! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the rare occasion that I make chocolate chip cookies, this is the recipe I follow every time! It seems to work with European flour well. The only thing that I add is refrigerating the dough at the end.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!