Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spicy Garlic Potato Wedges

I really love the Irish. Not only because they gave us the color green, and cute guys with sweet accents...but also because they invented the potato. I still don't understand why the french fry doesn't count as a serving of vegetables. I mean I do, but really...say it ain't so! When I lived in California I was on Weight Watchers, and boy did I watch my weight...it didn't really go anywhere. Just kidding, I actually lost a good chunk of my matter...it was nice. Anyways, tangent alert...I allowed myself one cheat a week, and would splurge on something yummy like a malt shake, or a brownie, or the whole left side of a menu...but my favorite was a big batch of sweet potato fries. They warmed my soul. So, as you can tell I have a soft spot for all things fries.

I found this recipe on a food blog a while ago, it is a Cooks Illustrated recipe. The first time I made them I followed the directions, but it was confusing and too time consuming, so I edited, adjusted, and came up with this variation. FYI they have a nice kick, so if you don't like spicy food reduce the cayenne pepper.

Spicy Garlic Potato Wedges
adapted from Cooks Illustrated


6 garlic cloves (diced small)
6 TBS olive oil

1 3/4 pounds of russet potatoes (apprx. 4-5 potatoes) (cleaned and cut into wedges)
1 1/2 TBS kosher salt
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 TBS cornstarch

Cut potatoes into nice little wedges...the number of wedges depends upon the size of your potato...so cut until you see a wedge appear. : ) Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and pat dry. Spread potatoes across large baking sheet. In separate bowl mix garlic, oil, salt, and both peppers. Pour over potatoes and mix until all the potatoes are covered in garlic yumminess. Sift or sprinkle cornstarch over potatoes and lightly toss. Bake in 475 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and lovely. Oh and you should flip them once after about 15 minutes. Cool slightly, and eat.

These would also be awesome with the addition of chopped fresh herbs...maybe thyme, rosemary, oregano. The cornstarch helps form a nice crunchy crust on the outside of the potato.

Have you ever had gummy mashed potatoes? This could be why. One of the chefs at school told me that as a general rule when you are cooking vegetables....if it grows below the ground put it in cold water and then bring to a boil. If it grows above the ground...bring the water to a boil and then add your ingredient. I have slowly implemented this tip into my cooking and it really does help make everything better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!