Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Greek Quinoa Salad






What on earth is Quinoa...and how do you say that? I pronounce it Keen-wah...but I am probably butchering it...I am after all the girl who was told not to speak in French class because I sounded German. I was first introduced to quinoa by my dear friend Abigail. She made it into a yummy cold salad with cranberries...I think that's what was in it. I was extremely skeptical at first and just now...2 1/2 years later do I like it.

Some quick facts about this weird thing called, Quinoa:

1. It comes to us from South America, thanks to the Incas...and of course God who gave it to them : )
2. It is a species of goosefoot...um yeah
3. It is not a grain, it is not a plant...it is most likened to a tumbleweed...I wonder if cowboys eat it? Maybe that is what made John Wayne so good looking.
4. You eat the seeds
5. It has an insanely high amount of protein, amino acids, and fiber...healthy points!
6. You cook it like rice or couscous...a 1:2 ratio to water
7. I plan on making it for breakfast soon with maple syrup, cinnamon, and raisins
8. Monkeys are cute

I was thinking about quinoa all day today...at the end of the day I went to the gym, but still couldn't stop thinking about quinoa...so I left the gym and went to the grocery store and bought some quinoa. : ) I am such an addict. This is a great salad to take to BBQs, picnics, or just to accompany any meal as an awesome side dish.

Greek Quinoa Salad:
By me, that is Dagny.

2 cups quinoa
4 cups water
1 cucumber diced small
1 red bell pepper diced small
1/2 red/purple onion diced small
3 TBS olive oil
3 TBS Red wine vinegar
4 oz feta cheese diced small or crumbled
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Rinse quinoa in a colander...make sure the holes in the colander aren't super big...otherwise you will end up without any quinoa. : ) Place quinoa and water in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes. Cook until all water is absorbed and it is light and fluffy. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined. Serve room temp or cold.

1 comment:

  1. A woman at work made me a quinoa salad with scalions and cilantro. It was delish!! - laura

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!