Friday, April 9, 2010

Bran Raisin Muffins


I am pretty sure I will rock at being an old person...all the signs are already present in my life. I love an intense game of bingo, I love naps, I stare at crossword puzzles, I like going to Church during the week, people are already calling me "ma'am", and most of all I really do love all things bran. I know what you are all thinking..."how could anyone actually enjoy eating cardboard?" I don't know why I love it so much, something must be wrong with me...oh wait...that fact has already been established. : )

I call these muffins "Bran Raisin" just so you don't think I actually put the cereal "Raisin Bran" in them. I love Bran muffins, they are great after a morning workout, before a hike, maybe even for your second or third breakfast of the day. : ) They travel well...thus proving their strength and durability from the cardboardness of the bran. I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, which in turn adapted it from Gourmet...RIP. The thing that I liked about this recipe is that it called for molasses and sour cream...in my opinion both are essential ingredients to every muffin recipe. Since everyone in my home is on some diet or another in anticipation for my sister's upcoming wedding I also made a second batch with lower fat ingredients. Both recipes are below. Please let me know if you try them!

Bran Raisin Muffins
adapted from Smitten Kitchen, and Gourmet

In large bowl cream with mixer until light and fluffy 2-3 minutes:
1 stick unsalted butter room temp
1/4 cup packed brown sugar


Then add and mix until combined (please note, it will look clumpy and not fully come together):
1 large egg
1 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream or plain yogurt)
1/4 cup molasses


In separate bowl whisk the following:
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup miller's bran


Add the dry to the wet, stir gently only until combined...it will still be clumpy. If you over mix it, it will yield tough brick like muffins...no bueno. Spoon about 1/3 cup into each muffin liner or greased muffin tin. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes until the tops springs back when touched.

Lower fat Bran Muffins

from moi

In large bowl mix until combined:

1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup olive oil ( or alternate oil)
1/8 cup agave nectar
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup molasses

In separate bowl whisk and then add to above:
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup millers bran

Mix only until combined. Spoon 1/3 cup into lined muffin tins. Bake 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Most grocery stores carry Miller's bran, I found it near the flour in the baking aisle. Both muffins baked out very similar, however, the lower fat ones rose a little bit more. When tested by my panel of elite foodies, they were not able to tell me which one was healthier, and liked both versions. In my book, I consider that a win.

FYI - If you are ever in Naples, FL there is this place called the Coffee Bean, they have the best applesauce bran muffins ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!