Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Oh Fall! So looking forward to you for so many reasons:
1) Moving into my second trimester! Everyone says the 2nd trimester is much better than the first...looking forward to not feeling yucky all the time! Did I mention I was having a baby! : ) The little munchkin is the size of a lemon right now and we are grateful for his strong heartbeat (we do not know the gender, but will refer to the baby as "he" until it is born)
2) THE WEATHER! Fall weather makes me so happy! It makes me want to be outside all the time! I just want to go outside and take really long deep breathes of the delicious Fall air. By far the best season of the year! All my workouts must be outside now!
3) Our 1 year marriage anniversary in November! Dang, that was a fast year! A good year, and somehow I love him more and more every darn day. He is basically the best husband ever : )
4) Our family Portugal Trip! My parents and 2 of my siblings and I are travelling to Portugal for a tour led by my Aunt. We are looking forward to it! I am really looking forward to the food!
5) THE BAKING! Oh so many things to bake in the Fall. Next on my list is apple fritters...doesn't that sound divine?
My pregnancy has given me some really lovely heartburn and indigestion...yuck. Gluten doesn't help it, so I am trying to stay away from it for a while. I know I should also stay away from sugar, but at this point most of my food groups are off limits so I am just eating what I can.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe
5 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin (I used Pink Lady and Honey Crisp)
1 TBS apple juice (or lemon)
1/2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS honey
pinch of cloves
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 stick butter diced
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8x8 cake pan. Toss the filling ingredients together and set aside. Place all of the crisp ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until combined and crumbly. Sprinkle a small layer of the crisp on the bottom of the pan. Pour in filling and spread evenly. Top with the remaining crisp topping. Bake 30-40 minutes until crisp. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream, mascarpone cheese, or ice cream. This made really delicious leftovers too...if there are any!