Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Simple Sauteed Okra


Okra is weird.

When I was a kid I would eat around it in the many bowls of gumbo I consumed.  Those little pearly balls from the inside of it drove me bananas as they seemed to multiply and be everywhere!

Now I think okra is divine.

Guess all those years of education worked and all those light bulbs finally went on in my head.

I bought a big bag of them at the local farmers market this week with the intention of cooking them all at once and eating them with lunch the rest of the week.  Like most well thought out plans of mine this did not happen.  Apparently my whole family loves okra!  When did that happen?  I cooked the okra.  The family saw the okra.  The family demolished the okra.  darn it all.

Fun facts about Okra:

1.  In some countries they refer to okra as "ladies fingers" ...kind of creepy sounding to me...
2.  It is said to have originated in these regions:  South Asia, Ethiopia, and West Africa.
3.  Okra is healthy!  It is high in fiber, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and antioxidants.
4.  Okra is used to thicken soups - that slimy matter that comes from the seeds is the thickening agent.
5.  In the 1800's slaves would use Ground okra seeds as a coffee substitute

What you are getting for Christmas from me : )

Sauteed Okra

2 cartons of fresh okra (about 5 cups chopped up)
4 slices of bacon
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper

Rinse the okra.  Cut off the tops.  Then slices into disc chunks.  Chop bacon slices into pieces.  Place the bacon in a large frying pan and cook until cooked.  Then add the okra and olive oil to the pan.  Saute over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes stirring every once in a while.  Add the water and cover pan.  Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until water is gone.  Once okra is tender season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.



Did you hear the awesome news?  
        FALL IS HERE!!!!         

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!