Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pumpkin Gingerbread Pancakes...aka discs of Fall Glory!


Please note - that is actually Maple Cream and not butter - thanks to KO for sending some for us!!

Shazam!  Boom!  Seriously yo - overnight it finally became Fall in Texas!!!!  I am joyous beyond belief!!!  The Fall weather makes me happy - happy - happy!  Yes, happy to the third power - that is how awesome Fall is!

Like everyone else in the world I am obsessed with Pumpkin everything right now!  I started off with Pumpkin blondies - fail.  Moved on to Pumpkin granola - fail.  Then there was Pumpkin cornbread - fail.  Arg - I was getting pretty frustrated with all of these failed attempts at making yummy Pumpkin things.  Then all of a sudden things clicked and I finally found 2 pumpkin recipes that met my lofty arrogant standards, and tasted great too!  Score!  Today I will share with you this lovely Pumpkin Gingerbread pancake recipe and next I will share with you a delightfully moist Pumpkin Harvest bread recipe.

I don't know about you, but Fall motivates me to get more accomplished each day.  I seem to have all this hidden energy that lays dormant all summer long - then as soon as a breeze appears I wake up and start crossing things off my to do list.  Dang it - I kind of sound like a bear - don't I?  I am sure my family would not argue against this.



I do miss my East Coast Falls - Texas Falls just don't really compare at all.  It does stay warmer longer though - so we have more weekends we can camp, and be outside all day - opposed to the freezing Fall weather up North.

My niece and I worked on her Halloween costume this weekend - it is our thing.  She is growing up so fast - not too sure how many more years we will have to make a costume!  For the last few years we have come up with her costume ideas and made them together.  Last year she was the Mad Hatter and wanted to stick with the Alice in Wonderland theme and be the Queen of Hearts this year.  We also debated some of the below options...

Minions from Despicable me : )

Cute Owl!

This is what we are aiming for...lets see how close we get to this actual look!

And now for the Pancakes...I made some extra and hid  them in the fridge for work on Monday - but my sneaky little brother somehow found them and ate them all up on Sunday...darn him.  One of these days I am going to buy a box and lock up the things I don't want people in the house to eat - or, I guess I could just grow up, get my own house and fridge : )  

Pumpkin Gingerbread Pancakes

1 1/4 cups ground oats (the old fashioned kind ground up in a food processor or blender)
1 cup flour (I used all purpose but you can you wheat, or a gluten free substitue)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups pumpkin
2 TBS molasses (or extra maple if you don't have molasses)
1 TBS maple syrup
2 cups milk (I used almond, but you can use rice, coconut, cow's, or goat's milk)
1 tsp vanilla
Mix dry ingredients together in medium bowl.  Then add the wet and mix to combine.  Spoon onto well oiled griddle or skillet and cook on one side until bubbles form - then flip and cook until golden.
Serve with warm maple syrup, butter, and chopped pecans.


Why I like this recipe?  It has texture - from the oats.  It has layers of flavor - from the molasses and spices.  It tastes like FALL!

Wake up early on a Saturday morning - go on a Fall hike - come home and make these pancakes!

Eat your heart out,

Dagny











No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!