Monday, October 14, 2013

Gluten free.Dairy Free.Refined sugar free Pumpkin Bars


Pretty sure when you read the title you said to yourself "nasty".

Usually I would agree with you, but somehow these bars work and I like them!  Be warned - they may not have dairy, sugar, or flour - but they are filling and high in good fats...so still eat in moderation even though they are semi "healthy".

Is October all about Halloween for you?  How do you celebrate Halloween?  Growing up we were never allowed to participate in the "creepy ghoulish" side of Halloween.  Instead we dressed up like the Holy Family, angels, clowns, princesses, and more often then not just a soccer player since we all had our team jerseys already on and forgot to plan out a costume.  Halloween was about dressing up, eating candy, and baking for us.  I know some of my siblings didn't like that my Mom wouldn't let us dress up like witches and ghosts, but it never bothered me.  Creepy things scare the heart out of me!!!  I still remember not being able to sleep for weeks after watching that horrific movie "7".  I still have occasional nightmares about it, and I watched that 13 years ago!


Every family is so different in the way they celebrate Halloween - it is crazy! I really like the fun and creative aspect of Halloween.  It is always entertaining when people dress up and pretend to be something other than themselves.

I also think that there is definitely evil in the world.  I think it surrounds us every single day.  Every day is a battle of good vs. evil, and personally I want the good to win always...which in the end it does.  I know that Halloween is just one day every year, but I don't want to intentionally seek out scary images or experiences.  I never have understood how any good can come from watching movies with extreme gore and violence in them.  Life is crazy enough on its own and I have enough thoughts in my head that I don't need dark ones like that making their way into my brain...yuck.  So, I will continue being a big baby and instead of being surrounded by blood and guts on Halloween I will most likely be surrounded by friends, pumpkin pie, and a feel good movie.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it".
John 1:5

Make these bars, feel good about a healthy treat, spread the light this Halloween, 
and...

Eat your heart out,

Dagny


Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars
BY: Detoxinista.com, adapted slightly

  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup almond butter
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″ x 8″ pan generously with coconut oil or butter.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix well until a smooth batter forms.
  3. Transfer the batter to the greased pan, and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm.
  4. Allow to cool a few minutes then spread the glaze on top. 

I only made 1/2 the recipe below of the glaze and poured it onto the bars while they were still warm.

Maple Nut Glaze

3/4 cup pecans, almonds, or walnuts
1/4 cup Maple syrup
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.

See the recipe here at Detoxinista.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!