Friday, June 22, 2012

Toasted Coconut Brownie Bites


I recently took it upon myself to start a new ministry for the Catholic churches in our area.  After living here for 3 years and attending numerous Young Adult groups at the local churches that never really lasted very long, I decided to stop complaining and just take over.

Maybe it is because I am the 2nd oldest of 7 children, or maybe it is because I just like being in charge, but for some reason I like taking over...just ask anyone who knows me...I am bossy, I am the planner, I am the delegating one, and I am the "making it happen" person.  The thing that agitates me about most groups and organizations is that it always seems like more time is spent talking about how to make things work, and not enough time spent actually just making them work.  Less talk, more play.  I also really like working this way because I have lots of ideas, and if I have too much time to think about them it just gets crazy and confusing for everyone!

Adding this extra responsibility to my life has really pushed me over the edge with running out of time to get everything done each day.  As a result these brownies were invented.
Thus begins the story of how this idea came about:


You know when you promise to make brownies for something and then you forget until about 30 minutes before that something is about to happen?  Yeah, this happens to me...all the time.  This post is your solution.

I introduce to you the concept of using your muffin tin for more then muffins and cupcakes!

True story, I made brownies and packaged them in less then 25 minutes..and most importantly, they tasted scrumptious!

In order to have the best tasting brownies you need to know 3 things:

1)  Do not over mix, this will make your brownies more cakey then chewy.
2)  Do not overbake
3)  Do test the batter before baking.

In other news I am contemplating going watch the midnight feature of Brave tonight...but really, should one ever go see the midnight feature of a cartoon movie?  Upon further contemplation...I think not.



Toasted Coconut Brownie Bites


based on the Baked Brownie
adapted slightly by me
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces dark or semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or chips
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, or instant coffee
1½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray muffin tins with non stick spray of choice, or brush with melted butter.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.
3. Put the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan. The mixture should be room temperature.
4. Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
5. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
6. Pour  2TBS of the batter into each prepared tin and sprinkle the toasted coconut on top. Bake in the center of the oven for 10-12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Let the brownies cool for about 5-10 minutes, and then using a spoon carefully scoop each bite out of the tins.
7. Store at room temperature in an airtight container or wrap with plastic wrap for up to 3 days.

Make these brownie bites of goodness, listen to this sweet song, and Eat your heart out.

Dagny








No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!