Monday, June 18, 2012

Buckwheat Yogurt Waffles


Waffles truly are a thing of beauty.  Look at all those lovely nooks and crannies...they exist solely for the purpose of being slathered with butter and maple syrup.  Is this waffle speaking to you?  Listen, it will lead you on a journey to happiness...I kid you not.

Every time I make a waffle I think of my 21st birthday.  I realize most people have memories of alcohol on their 21st birthdays, but not me...I have waffle memories. : )  I was surprised by 2 of my friends with a basket of breakfast things on the morn of my 21st birthday...talk about the perfect gift for me!  Inside of that basket lay a sweet little waffle maker.  Little did I know that so many memories would stem from that  appliance.


One time we decided to set up a rogue waffle making operation outside of our school chapel.  After we ate our waffles we started snagging random people exiting after the end of Mass and offered to make them a waffle right then and there.  It was actually quite funny, and a prime example of many of the unique and creative adventures my friends and I embarked upon.  If you want to make people happy plug in a waffle iron in a random location...say your desk at work...and make them waffles.  Oh snap...I just had a brilliant documentary idea...a day in the life of a waffle maker.  One person travels the world making strangers waffles and changing the world.  Boom...New York Times Bestseller list here I come!

Now I understand that the word "buckwheat" might scare you away from this recipe.  Please trust me, and believe in the power of the buckwheat...and no, it is not a kid from the "Little Rascals."  Hold up, just had another brilliant idea...if I ever have my own kids I am naming them after my favorite grains..."Kamut", "Millet", "Quinoa", "Spelt."  How awesome would that be?  Of course knowing my luck they would all end up ironically being gluten intolerant and that would just be cruel.


In other news I recently discovered that you can watch the entire series of Dr.Quinn Medicine Woman on YouTube.  Don't judge.  Never underestimate the effect that really cheesy old shows with terrible acting can have on you... really...it warms the soul.


Make these waffles.  Watch Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

Eat your heart out,

Dagny

BUCKWHEAT YOGURT WAFFLES

1 cup Buckwheat flour (or your favorite whole grain flour...i.e. whole wheat, kamut, etc...)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 TBSP Brown sugar (or raw sugar, coconut sugar)
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 large eggs, separated
1 cup plain Greek Yogurt, or sour cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1.  Preheat waffle iron.  In large bowl sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
2.  In medium bowl whisk together the yolks, yogurt, milk, and butter.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry an mix just until combined.
3.  In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the batter.  DO NOT OVER MIX...this will deflate the egg whites and yield a flat boring waffle...no bueno.
4.  Ladle about 3/4 cup of batter onto waffle iron.  Bake until waffle is golden brown.
5.  Serve with warm maple syrup and fresh ricotta cheese for best  results.

This kid just ate the waffles and look at her positive reaction...if you eat these waffles you too can be this cute. : )


2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed - I've never made waffles - lovely pictures -
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very happy and smiling very widely too eating thees waffles. All I need now is to buy a waffle maker :D

    This is my time visiting your blog and love everything that you baked. I'm your latest follower :D

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!