Monday, June 11, 2012

Oatmeal Cake with broiled Caramel Coconut Topping

I don't know why this cake makes me think of old people, but it does.

I love old people.  I am pretty sure I will be a really cool old person.  In college people used say I reminded them of their grandmas...I can see how this might sound like a bad thing, but honestly I took it as a compliment.

Old people rock.  They are so wise, and they move so slowly...which means they only do things that really matter.  Every time I see an old person I instantly want to hold the door for them, or help them into their cars.  Many a time at the grocery store I offer to empty their carts for them, and they usually respond with a smile, but insist they can do it on their own.  Pretty sure it is a pride thing, and I am okay with that...all I am saying is that when I am old I will be willing to let everyone wait on me hand and foot!  Consider yourself warned!

Now speaking of old people, let's talk about my Mom.  Ha ha...just kidding Mom, you aren't old, really you aren't. : )  If you really looked old then why do people keep thinking we are sisters...and yes, this hurts my confidence and makes me feel older then I am...especially since there is a 27 years age difference between us...but I really can't hold it against you...but secretly I do.

Now that I find my days very busy with work, and recently taking on a new responsibility...which I will tell you about at another time...my Mom now has to take on more of the cooking/baking then she usually does.  Before when my time was more available she would ask me often to make cookies, or something for her various activities and functions she had to attend.  Now that I don't have the time to bake on command, she is baking more and more.  So proud of her!!!

One of her recent creations was this lovely oatmeal cake.  It is simple, and delicious. The original recipe called for a lot more sugar, so we scaled it back thinking it would be too sweet, so glad we did.

On an unrelated note, I feel inclined to talk about another movie.  I know this movie has been out for a while, but I have yet to sing its praises on here...yep, you guessed it, Hunger Games.  I realize this is a trendy movie, and for that reason I really didn't want to watch it, but I did, and I loved it.

As soon as the movie was over I went home and read the first book.  Then I read the second book, and am waiting to get the third one..well I almost finished the second book, I can't bring myself to finish the 2nd one and left one chapter unread for now.  You know when you just don't want to finish a book because you don't want the story to end?  I don't want it to end.

I really can't tell you why I like these books so much.  The writing is simple, nothing too exceptional.  The plot is interesting, but not completely unheard of.  The characters are strong, but don't have super powers.  I really can't put my finger on it, but I am hooked...and can't wait for the 2nd movie to be released!!!!  So if you are looking for some super light summer reading, look no further my friend. : )

Watch Hunger Games, Read Hunger Games, and make this cake!

Eat your heart out,

Dagny


Oatmeal Cake
adapted from the Penzey Spice Catalog

Cake:

1 cup oats
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan, and set aside.

In medium bowl combine the oats and the boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes.  In a separate mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add the oats/water mix and mix until combined.  Add the eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined.  

In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Gradually add to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes until brown and knife comes out clean.  Remove from oven.

Preheat the broiler in your oven.  In a bowl combine all the topping ingredients and mix well....this mixture will be thick.  Spread evenly onto the warm cake.  Place the cake back in the oven, 2" from the broiler.  Broil until browned lightly, about 2-4 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.


2 comments:

  1. Good old mom! the cakes looks wonderful and surprisingly moist which is clever when you use oatmeal - definitely something I would try!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I love that coconut topping.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!