Thursday, April 7, 2011

Greek Lamb Meatballs


"What do you mean he don't eat meat? Oh, that's okay, I make lamb."

I learned how to make Tzatziki. This knowledge empowered me to make more Greek food. I did...and it was good. Why did I wait so long to learn the Greek way of food? How many years of goodness have I lost! My favorite Greek movie of all times, and the only Greek movie I know of... is My Big Fat Greek Wedding. My Junior year of college I was an RA and My Big Fat Greek Wedding was one of the 20 movies we rented out to my fellow students. It also happened to be the most popular movie of the year on our campus. I swear, every single night that darn movie was playing in our common room. By the end of the year I was fully versed in all things My Big Fat Greek Wedding. If you haven't seen this movie yet, you should make these meatballs and watch it.

"The man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants."

Greek Lamb Meatballs

2 pounds ground lamb, or ground beef
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Form into small meatballs. Heat saute pan to medium high, coat bottom of pan with coconut oil or olive oil. Cook meatballs, flipping every minute or so until meatball is no longer pink and thoroughly cooked. I served this along with the Tzatziki recipe I posted a few weeks ago, some paprika hummus, fresh spinach, and homemade pitas. The pitas were easy to make, and tasted good, but they were a little too hard in texture. I am going to try a few more recipes and then post a good one that yields a softer pita.

"Ian, are you hungry?...Uh no, I already ate...Okay, I make you something."

1 comment:

  1. Dagny! WELCOME TO THE GREEK! This is why we always got along so splendidly. hahaha.

    This recipe looks amazing. and even more amazing as I endure this Friday in Lent. =)

    We need to chat soon....I have so much to discuss with you!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!