Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Coconut Brown Rice Agave Ice cream



When people find out I am a Pastry Chef I am usually asked the following questions: 1) Do you make cakes? 2) Don't you just love cupcakes? and 3) Is cupcake wars your favorite show? I guess I am a disappointment to my trade because I answer no to all three. I can and do make cakes, but I focus on making my cakes taste great instead of making them look insanely crazy by using all kinds of tools and fondant. Call me old school, but my motto is "butter cream or go home." In response to question number 2, I have to say cupcakes are lovely, but the majority of cupcakes sold in stores and cupcake bakeries are made from box mix...so to those cupcakes I say no, but to real home made cupcakes I think I can find a place in my life for them. : ) Now as far as cooking shows go, yes, I used to watch lots of cooking shows before I starting working in the industry. Once I started working I realized that most of those shows are really unrealistic and more about the drama then the food. Sorry folks, not to bust your bubble...if you watch those shows by all means continue to do so...this is just my personal opinion. My chiropractor asked me if I watch Chopped. I said no, but he kept talking about how great it was so I figured I should at least check it out. Darn it, I am hooked. This show is great. 3 chefs. 3 courses. 3 baskets full of mystery ingredients. I like this show because it is really is about food, and it fun to try and come up with ideas of my own for all the crazy ingredients they give the contestants. Also, it challenges the creativity of the chefs and is off the hook crazy the things these people come up with. Now onto the recipe...

I know what you are all thinking..."maybe she got two posted mixed up somehow"...no, I assure you the recipe I am about to share is indeed Coconut Brown Rice Agave Ice Cream. For all of you people out there on a Dairy free, refined sugar free diet this one is for you!

I was inspired to make this ice cream after eating some coconut rice ice cream at a Thai restaurant a few months ago. There was something so interesting and appealing about the smooth texture of the ice cream combined with the chewy texture of the rice. At first I was skeptical, but after one bite I was so intrigued I ate the whole bowl! This is a great dessert to serve after a spicy meal, the flavors are so refreshing and soothing to the palette. If you don't have agave you should be able to use honey or maple syrup instead. Read through the whole recipe first just so you are sure where you are going with it...does that make sense?

Coconut Brown Rice Agave Ice Cream

In small saucepan whisk together the following and bring to a simmer over medium high heat:

2 (13.5-14 ounce) cans of unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup agave
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In separate medium sized bowl whisk 4 egg yolks. Now we are going to temper which sounds scary and intimidating, but really it isn't. We do this so the egg yolks don't become scrambled eggs. While continuously whisking the eggs slowly pour about about a 1/2 a cup of the hot coconut milk mixture into the eggs. Whisk Whisk Whisk. Once combined pour about another 1/2 cup coconut milk into the eggs. Whisk Whisk Whisk. At this point you can pour the egg/coconut milk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining coconut milk mixture. Whisk Whisk Whisk. Continue to whisk about 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add:

1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste, or 1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut (I toasted mine, but you don't have to)
1/2 cup cooked short grain brown rice...or any rice you like (optional, but highly suggested)

Whisk until combined. Put into fridge and chill. Once chilled process in ice cream maker until thick and creamy, about 20-25 minutes. Please note...you need to eat this right away, if you put it in the freezer it will turn into a large block.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm one of those people who is now dairy free and also trying to limit my refined sugar intake. Thanks for posting this! You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!