Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Easy Coconut Chicken

Not the best picture, but really it is a nice tasty chicken!

Are you a chicken during the week kind of family? Coming from a family that often has someone on a diet we find ourselves eating chicken for dinner more often then not. By the time the weekend has arrived all I want is steak, ribs, or fish...please Lord, please. Our go to meal usually consists of grilled chicken and green salad. Hey it is Wednesday, guess what we are having for dinner...grilled chicken salad! Joy and glee all around!

The other night I sat there looking at those darn boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs that I had been tasked with to cook once again. I decided to take my uninspired self to the pantry and find some kind of creative idea. There on the bottom shelf sat two forgotten cans of unsweetened coconut milk. Who on earth bought those, and how long had they been hiding there? I have often wanted to make coconut chicken, but always forget that is my plan and end up coming up with something else instead...grilled chicken salad anyone? : ) What I came up with was a nice, light, and very pleasing coconut chicken recipe. The only thing that would make it better was a pina colada in one hand and a palm tree.

Easy Coconut Chicken
recipe by me, myself, and I - we work as a team on these things : )

In large bowl combine the following and Stir together:

1 1/2# boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk

2 T lemon juice

1 tsp sea salt

1/8 tsp black pepper

1 tsp minced garlic

1 TBSP coconut or olive oil

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes


Allow mixture to marinade at room temperature for 15-30 minutes. Meanwhile cook the following over medium/high heat until soft and caramelized in some olive or coconut oil, 5-7 minutes stirring often:

1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced


Once cooked remove from pan and pour marinaded chicken into pan. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked, and no longer pink. Return the onions and peppers to pan and stir. Serve over rice.


You may have noticed...or not...that the appearance of my blog has changed. I really wanted to work on making it more pleasing to the eye while reading. I also added an index bar under my header with some additional information...good restaurants, cook books, and stuff about me. Check it out! Please let me know if you have any thoughts about the changes!

5 comments:

  1. Actually, its a great picture! the styling is lovely! I guess it just lack a bit of light....coconut and chicken is any day yes yes for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dags, I LOVE your new blog look! And I am THRILLED that you did a dairy-free, gluten-free dinner option!!! This looks so yummy and I actually just bought some coconut milk.....guess what's for dinner tomorrow?!? =) Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up chicken deprived- my father doesn't touch it. Now I am definitely a weekday chicken eater. Any day of the week, actually. keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cardamon Hills- btw great name! Thanks for the compliment!

    Black Mona-Thanks! Let me know how it turns out. I didn't realize it was all those, so thanks for making me aware : )

    gigabiting-glad you like chicken so much, I can only handle it so many times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonder if i could use minced onion instead? or onion powder?

    we're not onion loving people haha. i don't mind the flavor, it's the texture of the onion when you eat it cooked. icky. looks super yummy though!!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!