Friday, March 27, 2015

Veggie Quiche with no cheese or milk!


I am having a hard time staying indoors today.

The sun is finally shining and it is 65 degrees outside.

The birds are chirping and the green things are starting to wake up from their hibernation.

This can only mean one thing...it is time to increase my workouts and decrease my sweets intake!  : )

Spring, the sweet spring

                                                                   BY THOMAS NASHE
Spring, the sweet spring, is the year’s pleasant king,
Then blooms each thing, then maids dance in a ring,
Cold doth not sting, the pretty birds do sing:
      Cuckoo, jug-jug, pu-we, to-witta-woo!

The palm and may make country houses gay,
Lambs frisk and play, the shepherds pipe all day,
And we hear aye birds tune this merry lay:
      Cuckoo, jug-jug, pu-we, to-witta-woo!

The fields breathe sweet, the daisies kiss our feet,
Young lovers meet, old wives a-sunning sit,
In every street these tunes our ears do greet:
      Cuckoo, jug-jug, pu-we, to witta-woo!
            Spring, the sweet spring!

My coworker was nice enough to get me some farm fresh eggs from her neighbor.  Yum.  So lovely.  I decided it was time to try and make a quiche that my husband could eat - no milk and no cheese.  He is lactose intolerant, and I don't eat cheese or milk either since it makes me break out and feel sick : (

I had my doubts that it would taste weird and bland with out those things - but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted.

I used my go to pie dough recipe for this, but feel free to use your favorite recipe if you have one.  This one worked well and doesn't have added sugar to it - so it works great for savory pies as well as the sweet ones.

I liked this recipe so much that I made it twice in a week!  I made it with sausage the second time, so feel free to make it with bacon or sausage as well.  The second one I made actually exploded in the oven - apparently it was a cheap glass pie pan and it shattered everywhere...so i guess technically I made 3 of these in a week since I had to chuck that one since I didn't want people to eat glass...oy

This is a perfect Lenten dinner!



Veggie Quiche - no cheese or milk

Crust Recipe:

This recipe makes 2 pie doughs, and the filling only makes one, so double the filling if you want 2 quiches, or freeze this extra crust for later.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
3/4 cup ice water

Make sure you work quickly when making the crust and use cold ingredients and even a chilled mixing bowl if you like.  I cheat when making crust and use my stand mixer because it speeds up the process.  In a cold mixing bowl combine flour and salt.  Stir.  With mixer running add the cold cubed butter and mix until broken into pea sized pieces.  Slowly add 1/2 cup of the ice cold water, then slowly add the additional 1/4 cup of water.  Mix just until combined and dough comes together.  If you don't have a mixer you can cut the butter into the flour/salt with a pastry blender or with 2 knives.
Place in fridge and chill for at least one hour.

On floured surface roll out the pie dough into an even circle. turning the dough and adding flour to the surface when necessary.  Quickly line a pie pan with the dough and crimp edges like you like to!

Filling:
Saute the following in a large fying pan about 5-7 minutes until soft and cooked down:

1 TBS olive oil
1 onion diced
1 red or yellow bell pepper diced

Then add this and cook 1 more minute:

3 big handfuls fresh spinach

In a large bowl whisk together the following until smooth and combined:

6 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or whatever milk alternative you like...or milk if you drink it)
3 TBS flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper

Mix the egg mixture and cooked veggies together and pour into an unbaked pie shell in a pie pan.  Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees until no longer jiggly in the middle.

- If you wish to add meat to this saute 1/2 # breakfast sausage or a few slices of ham or bacon, remove from pan, cook veggies in the grease and then add to quiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!