Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Chocolate Cranberry Cake



I know that Thanksgiving is a pie holiday, but frankly I just didn't have the patience to make a pie.  I wanted something quick, yummy, and with some element of Thanksgiving in it.  My Mom has been buying these chocolate covered goji berries recently and I really wanted to capture that lovely tart meets sweet element in a cake with cranberries instead of goji berries.  I was happy to see there were many options on the internet for cranberry chocolate cakes.  I decided to go with this recipe since it didn't call for milk and a certain someone in my life can't do the whole milk thing.  If you want to go ahead and make this cake 100% dairy free you can swap out coconut oil for the butter.
I made this cake for my Church Young Adult Group Thanksgiving potluck this weekend.  We feasted on exceptional food and enjoyed each others company.  I sure do love all the get together's that happen during the Holiday season. : )  This cake was a big hit and I was barely able to sneak away an extra piece for my Monday lunch dessert...sure glad I did though because the cake tastes even better today!

Chocolate Cranberry Cake with Chocolate Glaze

Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook New Classics
Makes 1 8-inch cake
1 1/2 cups flour (you can use all white, or half whole-wheat pastry and half white)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola, safflower, or vegetable oil
1 cup chilled brewed coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 cup cranberries tossed with 2 tablespoons sugar
Chocolate Icing (recipe follows)
Preheat over to 375°F. Oil an 8-inch cake pan, then dust with cocoa powder - not flour. 
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk together to break up any clumps in the cocoa.
In a second medium bowl, combine the oil, coffee, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until smooth. Stir in the cranberries.
Add the vinegar and stir – you’ll see light swirls of fizz form as the vinegar and baking soda react. Immediately, pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Take the cake out of the oven and cool 15 minutes then Remove from pan.  When cool, frost with the chocolate glaze.
Glaze
6 ounce(s) quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 stick(s) (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon(s) light corn syrup
1 tablespoon(s) orange liqueur or dark rum




HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!