Friday, August 9, 2013

Paprika Roasted Cauliflower


Either you love cauliflower or you hate it.  For some reason my whole family loves it.  Not too sure why we all like the weird strongly opinionated vegetables so much - like Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and broccoli...but we do, and it is good.

I go through phases as to how I like to cook my vegetables - Roast, boil, saute...hum...which method shall I use today?  I also try to think about which cooking method allows the vegetable to keep more nutrients.  Obviously eating your vegetables raw is the best way to get the most nutrients, but honestly they just aren't as easy to consume when in their raw state...sometimes I feel like I am eating the earth, and this is not pleasant for me.  There are so many articles about which cooking method retains the most nutrients in your veggies - seems like most people are saying microwaving them is the way to go.  Personally I don't like using the microwave unless I have to - so I am going to not use this method...sorry popular opinion.

Putting all nutritional value aside and focusing solely on taste - roasting is the way to go.  Lots of vegetables develop a nice caramelized look and taste to them - which is a flavor gold mine!  The problem with roasting is it takes longer than just throwing them in some boiling water.  So - when I am in a time crunch - which is always - I boil them.  I had a rare day off from all my responsibilities in life so I made this cauliflower and some chocolate peanut butter cookies...which I will also post the recipe for soon!

Figured I should post something that didn't call for sugar.  You are welcome. : )

Cauliflower is weird people.  Honest to goodness it is.  Here are some odd things that make it special:

1)  Cauliflower can be found not only in the white color, but also the orange, green, and the purple (aka "graffiti cauliflower")...CRAZY!

2)  You can also find the "Romanesco" type cauliflower that looks like this strange space plant


3)  I really like how the green leaves wrap around in a safe embrace protecting the cauliflower head - it is a very maternal vegetable - don't you think?

In other news I FINALLY joined the smart phone world - so this might help me post more since I will have easier access to taking photos.  YEAH!!!  I feel so tech savvy all of a sudden. : )

Paprika Roasted Cauliflower

1 large head or 2 small heads of cauliflower, rinsed and green leaves cut away, break into pieces
Olive oil (about 1-2 TBS)
Salt and Pepper (generous sprinkle over all cauliflower)
1 tsp Paprika
pinch of cayenne

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place chunks of cauliflower into a large roasting pan.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne.  Toss to coat.  Roast in oven 20-25 minutes, stirring half way through.  Cook until desired tenderness is achieved.  I don't like mushy cauliflower so I tend to cook it a few minutes less.

Have a lovely weekend my food loving people!

Eat your heart out,

Dagny

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!