Friday, August 23, 2013

Easy Peasy Black Bean Burgers


I really don't like heavy dinners.

They weigh you down, makes it harder to go to sleep.

About a year ago I got my braces.  These braces made it difficult to eat meat.  As a result I ate more vegetarian meals than usual.  I also started not eating meat for dinner.  Only veggies and non-meat protein.  It has been awesome.  I lost 15 pounds because of it, and I sleep so much better.

These black bean burgers are one of my dinner options.  You eat them and don't feel gross and full - it is awesome.  I didn't follow a recipe for them, just kind of threw some ingredients into a bowl and called it a burger - turned out so much better than I thought they would!  Love when that happens!  Also, you can make extra - keep the mixture in your fridge and cook them throughout the week, or make them into patties and freeze them for the future.  I tripled this recipe and it made enough to feed our family with 7 people, and then froze 1/2 a dozen.

Black Bean Burgers

1/2 cup ground up oats or oat flour (I ground whole oats up in a food processor)
1/2 large zucchini, grated (on a grater or food processor with grater attachment)
1/2 large onion, grated
1 green onion, chopped small
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed and pureed until smooth
handful of fresh chopped cilantro
1 egg
1/2 lime juiced, or lemon
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano flakes
1/8 tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne

Mix all of the ingredients together in medium bowl until combined.  Scoop out in 1/2 cup measurements and cook on a well oiled frying pan, over medium heat.  3-4 minutes on each side until browned.  Gently flip the burgers - they are not as sturdy as your traditional meat burgers.  Yo can eat them on a bun if you like, but I don't really eat that much bread so I prefer them on top of a bed of greens instead.  Serve with salsa and avocados!  You can also top them with cheese if you eat cheese. : )


Are you ready for Fall?  I sure am!  
Make these burgers, feel good about eating a healthy meal, listen to this song, 
and eat your heart out!

Dagny 


1 comment:

  1. they sound fantastic - I agree - I much prefer the veggie burger to the beef these days - anything described as easy peasy is right up my alley!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!