Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lazy Saturday Morning Oat and Flax Pancakes

FYI - I didn't take this picture...still haven't taken the time to learn my new camera!

I go through phases where I use the same pancake recipe over and over again for months, and then randomly decide to switch recipes on whim.  I also go through phases where all I want for dinner is pancakes.  News flash...I am in this phase now!  Maybe it is because I am busy, and I get home late and sometimes I am hungry - a heavy meat filled dinner after 8 pm sounds so unappealing always, so instead I make pancakes or eat cereal.  I know it is terrible to eat at such late hours, but if I don't eat something my stomach will growl all through the wee hours of the night.  Come on, I know you eat cereal at night too...all the "cool kids" are doing it now. : )

I recently ran a crawfish boil at work for 300 people - it went swimmingly - and I really want to bring my pancake griddle to work one day and make all my fellow employees pancakes to thank them for helping me execute such a successful event.  I think I will see if we can have a "bring your griddle to work day" every month.  That would be awesome!  Nothing makes a Monday more bearable than eating pancakes at your desk!

Can you believe summer is almost here?  I am going to try and post lighter and healthier recipes that are season appropriate instead of brownies and pancakes all the time...please note the key word being "try".  I tried to come up with a balsamic roasted vegetable quinoa recipe, but so far I haven't been pleased with the results.  Hopefully my next attempt will be post worthy!


Lazy Saturday Morning Oat and Flax Pancakes

adapted from Bon Appetit.com

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
1/2 cup oat flour (just belnd flour in a food processcor, or I used Oat bran)
2 tablespoons raw sugar (or coconut sugar, maple sugar, maple syrup, or honey)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk (or coconut milk, almond milk, whole milk with 1 tbs of lemon added to it 1st)
3 large eggs, beaten to blend
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled

Whisk first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and butter in a medium bowl; add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk just to combine (do not overmix; small clumps are okay).Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat bottom of skillet with nonstick spray. Working in batches, use a 1/4-cup measure to spoon batter into skillet. Cook until pancake bottoms are golden brown and bubbles begin to form and pop on top, about 3 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook until golden brown and just cooked through, 1–2 minutes longer. Divide among serving plates and serve with honey or agave, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!