Monday, April 1, 2013

Cinnamon Bun Bread and an Engagement!


Okay folks, Lent is over so I won't feel as guilty about posting terrible bad for you delicious sugar recipes anymore.  The Easter season is upon us - bake away!!!

I made this scrumptious dish this past weekend - and let's just say when I went to get a second piece I was sad to see there was nothing left in the dish!  This is a quick yeast bread - seems like a contradiction I know, but it really does make sense when you bite into it.  If you are craving cinnamon rolls but don't have the time or patience for them - make these!

I have been preoccupied lately with some wonderful new things in my life : ) , and because of this my lovely little blog has been neglected.  I have a whole slew of recipes building up that I want to share with you, so please be patient with me as I slowly - very very slowly get them posted.  One of my favorites is this awesome raw broccoli salad recipe - so hopefully that one will be next!

Did I tell you my baby sister got engaged?  Well holy moley she done went and got herself a man!  They got engaged over Spring Break - which was a shock and surprise to us all!  I mean we saw it coming, totally knew he was "the one", just didn't think the engagement would be until Christmas.  So happy and excited for them - she picked a real winner of a guy, and I know he will love her, honor her, and cherish her which is all we could really hope for.  I have to say, I have really lucked out in the brother-in-law department.  The three guys my sisters have found are all pretty awesome.  They are also pretty drastically different - which is really funny.  My older sister's husband is Massachusetts Irish, quiet, contemplative, philosophical  and kind.  My younger sister's husband is Mexican, loud, crazy, fun, and has a super big heart.  And now my baby sister's guy is a ginger, responsible, practical, funny, and a sweet heart.  I find it funny that they all choose such different guys!  
The Happy Couple!

Oh boy, so brace yourself as the Syversen family gears up and gets back into wedding planning mode again - watch out people, and Dad - seriously you should confiscate all your credit cards immediately - trust me on this one.  

Heating the milk to the proper temperature
Mixing the dough!
The dough taking a rest...just chilling like a villain
Mixing the cinnamon swirly goodness together
Cinnamon swirled in ready to go in the oven
Yum Yum


Quick Cinnamon Bun Bread
adapted from several sources
3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tsp active dry or rapid rise yeast
1 1/3 cup warm milk (100-110F)
6 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg

Topping
6 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground cardamom
Icing 
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp milk or cream
Lightly grease an 9x13-inch baking pan.In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Dissolve the yeast in a measuring cup filled with the warmed milk, then stir milk mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg into the flour mixture. Mix well, until very smooth. Pour into prepared pan and let rest for 15 minutes.
While the dough rests, mix together topping ingredients: butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom in a small bowl using a fork until all the butter has been incorporated into the sugar and mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of rested dough and swirl the mixture into the dough with a spatula or knife.
Place pan into a cold oven, then set the oven temperature to 350F.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until bread is lightly browned at the edges and the center of the bread springs back when lightly pressed.  
Cool for at least 30 minutes before whisking the powdered sugar and milk together to form an icing and drizzling it onto the bread.  Serve warm. Leftovers can be reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!