Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


Is it possible to be over swamped?  Do you have to be an alligator to qualify for that?  If it is, then I am that...swamped that is, not an alligator.  I have been back to a full time job for about a month now.  In that short period of time I have had my work load at work increase ten fold, buried a grandpa, filled many cookie/pie orders, and somehow by the grace of God been able to exercise most nights.  Needless to say by the time I reach my bed at 9:30pm I pretty much fall asleep instantly...goodbye my usual midnight bedtime!

I must admit though, I do love a full schedule.  Having most of my minutes filled up for the day when I wake up keeps me going and motivates me to do more, and accomplish more.  Does anyone else have that problem?  The less free time you have the more you do?

I also have to admit that having a regular paycheck again is so awesome...really awesome...I missed it. : )

Now that I am busy I know that it is about to get a heck of a lot busier.  Here come the Thanksgiving pie orders...the boxes are ordered, apple peeler/corer/slicer ready to go, pie pans acquired.  Last year I cranked out 65 pies in 2 days, and my grandma passed away somewhere in between that chaos and madness.  This year I have high hopes of being more organized and efficient...of course I know the best laid plans always go astray in my case.  Thus when Friday at 5pm rolled around the making of the pie crust weekend commenced.  BRING IT ON.

Thank goodness little brother is coming home from boarding school for the week...little does he know that he has the job of assistant pastry chef this year...this is why it is good to have lots and lots of siblings...cheap labor baby. : )  Good thing I can pay him with biscotti and coffee cake installments over the next few months.

These whoopie pies are exceptionally good.  The whole wheat flour adds a nice substantial texture to the cookie, while the maple syrup adds a nice richness and depth of flavor.  The filling is also not as sweet as most traditional cream cheese fillings, and really counteracts well against the sweet cookie background.  Do I sound like a food critic here...kinda think I do : )

"I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean."
- G.K. Chesterton


Pumpkin Maple Whoopie Pies

(Adapted from adventures in cooking blog)

In mixer cream the following until smooth:

1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cup cups granulated sugar

Add the following and mix until smooth:

1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1/2 Cup Oil
1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
2 Eggs

Whisk together the following in a separate bowl and stir into wet ingredients:
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Stir just until combined.  Scoop out by the tablespoon onto parchment lined pan 3 inches apart...they will spread when cooked, I use a small ice cream scoop to get more evenly sized cookies.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until they spring back to the touch...I call this the scared cookie effect.

Cool completely.  Make the filling.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling:

2 sticks soft unsalted butter
1 pound soft cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.  If you over mix cream cheese it will get runny, so mix just until clumps are gone.  Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Mix until smooth and combined.

Fill a piping bag with filling and pipe a nice dollop onto half of the pumpkin cookie's flat sides.  Sandwich with other half.  If you don't have a piping bag you can just spoon the filling onto the cookies.  Store in fridge until ready to eat.  They can be assembled ahead of time...they held up well in the fridge and didn't get soggy. 


Eat your heart out,

Dagny

4 comments:

  1. Alright Dagny, I think I'm gonna give these a shot... That whole free-time thing and getting more done is true to a point. My free time will be around 9pm and I HOPE I can not be a slacker. I'll letcha know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! They are incredible! :) thanks Dagny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic whoopie pies and good for all and all the best with baking!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized that your filling is made with cream cheese and not sugar....YIPPEE! Planning to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!