Tuesday, November 29, 2011

No knead English Muffin Bread


I keep seeing recipes for English Muffin bread and decided it was about time I made some.  This was a simple bread, and a huge success!  Egg's Benedict Sandwiches anyone?  French Toast?  A yummy sanwhich perhaps?  Darn...I said that word..."perhaps"...everytime I hear it or say it I immeditely start singing Doris Day's song "Perhaps, Perhaps" in my head.

Have you heard it?  You should.  You should also go watch "That touch of Mink" starring Doris Day and my personal favorite, Cary Grant.  I just read an article that said Doris Day, 88 years old, is going to release an album on December 2nd.  Curious to hear how her voice sounds after all these years.


We grew up watching all the classic old movies.  Back then I was mad we couldn't go see all the new release movies that other kids our age were watching, but now I am grateful that we watched all the oldies instead.  I keep telling myself I need to start watching the old ones again, but they just aren't as accesible as they used to be.  I think we should start a new tradition that on the eve of every holiday we watch a classic from our childhood.  Sounds like a plan.


Did you grow up watching old movies?  Come on, I know you did...especially if your name starts with an "M" and ends with a "W" or an "F...previously an H"...you know who you are : )  What was your favorite movie from the good old days?  Who was your favorite actor/actress?

I would have to say my favorites are Tammy, Eldorado, Gone with the Wind, Operation Petticoat, To Catch a Thief, and basically all Hitchcock movies are awesome.  Favorite Actor...Cary Grant...Favorite Actress...Doris Day/Greer Garson


English Muffin Bread
(Please note I partially included the metric amounts for this recipe)

1 TBSP yeast
1 TBSP granulated sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 pound 8oz unbleached all purpose flour (5 1/3 cups)
1 pt. (2 cups) milk
4fl oz (1/2 cup) water
Cornmeal

Grease 2 loaf pans and set aside.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Stir together the yeast, sugar, baking soda, salt, and 12oz of the flour (which is 1/2 of the flour).  In separate bowl stir together the milk and water and heat to 120 degrees.  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry mixing until combined,  Then slowly add the rest of the flour while mixing.  The batter will be stiff.  Divide the dough in half and portion out into the pans.  Stretch dough out to fit pan.  Sprinkle with cornmeal.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area until doubled in size...this depends upon how warm the weather is...the colder it is the longer it will take to rise.  Bake until golden brown about 25 minutes.








2 comments:

  1. I am wicked excited about this recipe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread looks sooooo good - and all those movies - LOVE them all!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!