Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back to school to prove to my Daddy that I ain't no fool Granola Bars

"To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks." 
A.A.Milne
 
Chances are someone in your life just headed back to school.  I wish I was one of those people so I had an excuse to pack these bars in my lunch everyday.  Making granola bars is fun people, really it is.  Pre-made food that comes out of a box really can't compare.  I have posted granola bars before, but this one is different...of course that is what I say about all my recipes...shh...don't tell anyone. : )  This is a great recipe to have kids help you out with.  Have them go through the pantry and pick out things they want in their granola bars.  The add ins are flexible, so let them use their imaginations...it could get interesting : )  I think next time I make these I will add chocolate chips and send them to my brother at boarding school.  FYI-These ship well, perfect for care packages!  Happy Baking Mon Amis!


 Honey Almond Granola Bars

2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds (or whatever nut you like)
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup puffed millet cereal (or any puffed cereal you like...puffed rice, kamut, wheat, etc.)
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (or ground flax seeds)
3 TBS coconut oil, butter, or oil of choice
2/3 cup honey (or maple syrup, brown rice syrup)
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup raisins (or whatever dried fruit you like)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place oats, almonds, and coconut on a sheet tray and toast 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.  Remove from oven and set aside.

Place the oil, honey, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients including the toasted items.  Mix together until completely incorporated.  Line and 8x8 pan with parchment.  Press mixture into pan.  Wet hands slightly and press down again.  Bake 25- 30 minutes until golden brown.  Cool completely and cut into 10 bars.  You can wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap stored at room temperature and they should keep for a week or so.  Let me know if you make these and what you put in them!

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."   
William Butler Yeats

2 comments:

COMMENT HERE!!!