Saturday, October 9, 2010

Potstickers...no, not that sticky stuff that won't come off the pan.




So...it has been brought to my attention that some of my readers actually try the recipes I post. Yippee!!! I am so glad that you do! If you do try something please let me know how it turned out...preferably via the comments on my blog. Thanks my people! I know my recipes tend to be on the simpler side, and this is why. Sometimes I look at a recipe and it is just so overwhelming. a million ingredients, and a million steps. If a recipe is over complicated I tend to not enjoy making it as much, and as a result I don't like it as much. That being said, I hope my recipes aren't too simple...I probably could add a little more detail, and I promise to work on that. One more thing, if you have any requests for recipes, or maybe just ideas, let me know! Happy Bakcooking!!! Ha, did you see that? I totally just made up a new word. : ) On to the recipe...

Some words are just so fun to say. For instance...Embarcadero, ricochet, buffont, platypus...just saying these words makes me smile for some reason. Maybe it is because I was dropped a few times as a baby, or maybe they are just wicked cool words. A new word to add to the list just happens to be our recipe today...how convenient is that? Say it with me folks..."Potsticker". Doesn't it just dance off your tongue? This word is great because it sounds happy, but can also be used as a wily insult...for example..."Darn you scratch and sniff, I should have known you were a potsticker!"

My first exposure to a potsticker was by one of my former roommates who used to eat the Trader Joe's version. I was always so confused by them. Was it dinner? Was it an appetizer? What is the meaning of this potsticker you speak of? Apparently Chinese legend says that potstickers are good for your soul. How can this be? Do the potstickers travel through you and attach themselves to your soul? How does this work? Potstickers are also commonly known as "Jiaozi", "Guotie", or "Dumplings". I personally like the name potsticker best because it is more fun to say. : ) I recommend finding a friend and making a bunch of these all at once. Then you can freeze them and then just cook them when you need them. They make a great appetizer at parties...trust me folks, after bringing these to a party you will be invited to every party.

Most of the recipes I saw used raw meat as the filling, but the cooking process took so much longer then if you use cooked meat. So here is my variation and I really like how it turned out.
These guys can be steamed, or pan fried...so pick your poison and have at it.

Potstickers

In large frying pan saute 1 pound ground chicken or pork 5-7 minutes over medium high heat until cooked. Then add 1 cup finely diced cleaned Napa Cabbage, and 2 TBS chopped green onions. Sautee 3-4 minutes.

Then add the following to the above and mix until combined:

1 TBS Oyster sauce (you can find this in the Asian food section at most grocery stores)
1 TBS Soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 TBS corn starch
1 tsp sesame oil or olive oil


Make sure there are no big clumps of meat, if there are break them up with a spoon or spatula.

Now the fun part. Take 1 package of wonton wrappers (you can usually find these in the produce section at the grocery store) and lay out a few onto a flat surface. Spoon 1 tsp of slightly cooled filling into each wrapper, wet your finger with water and run around the edge of the wrapper. Fold over and press to seal edges together. If you are making the bigger ravioli like ones spoon 2 tsp of the meat filling and put another wrapper onto and seal with wet fingers. Once you have a few assembled you can either cook some or continue making them all and place in a single layer into the freezer. Once they are frozen bag them up and keep in the freezer until you are ready to use them.

You can pan fry or steam them. To pan fry, which is what I prefer because they get that nice crispy edge to them...heat a few tsp of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Place potstickers into pan and cook until golden, and then flip...and cook the other side until also golden. To steam...place the potstickers in a steamer basket over boiling water and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Serve with soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!