Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pesto Pesto do your very besto!

Pesto, cheese, and pine nuts in sweet bowls my momma bought me in Newburyport, MA

The mother load of basil in the colander my parents got as a wedding gift 30 years ago

Every time I hear the word "Pesto" I automatically start singing that "Presto, Presto" song from the old school Cary Grant/Sophia Loren movie "Houseboat". If you haven't seen it yet, I highly suggest it!!! Here is a quick link to the song from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKV4tnVeTUo

I have tried to grow my own herbs at home many a time, but this darn Texas heat kills everything I try to grow! However, my brother, Leif, recently planted a few herbs in the back yard...and success!!! We finally have our own fresh herbs! Thank you brother!!! We have three lovely basil plants that shot up wicked fast and yielded many a leaf for my culinary experiments. My absolute favorite thing to do with pesto is to make a chicken/goat cheese/pesto/spinach whole wheat pizza...so so so awesome! I plan on making it this weekend in honor of my birthday so I will post that recipe soon. Anyway, pesto is very versatile, you can put it on...pasta, potatoes, veggies, sandwiches, crostinis, etc, etc...hum...I wonder if you could use it as a face mask as well?

Pesto


4 cups packed fresh basil (washed and dried)
2/3 cup pine nuts

6 cloves garlic
1 cup olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
salt and pepper

In food processor pulse basil, garlic, and pine nuts until desired chunkiness is achieved. While machine is running slowly drizzle in olive oil. Then add cheese, salt and pepper and pulse until combined. Store in air tight container in fridge. Should keep about 2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Looks deee-lish, and I LOVE your photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am trying to take better pictures...I need a new camera!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!