Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Italian kinda wedding soup...


So I always thought Italian wedding soup was called..."Italian wedding soup" because it is what everyone ate leading up to a wedding...I figured it is so brothy and healthy it helped people get in shape for the big day. : ) Apparently, I was wrong. The name "Wedding soup" actually comes from a mistranslation of the words, "minestra maritata", meaning "married soup." Referring to the fact that green vegetables and meat go well together. Random...I mean, fish and chips go well together, maybe we should call them "wedding fish."

I got this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on www.foodnetwork.com. I pretty much followed the recipe as is except I reduced the kosher salt to 3/4 tsp, used Kale instead of curly endive, and reduced the chicken broth to 8 cups instead of 12. Oh, and I got lazy half way through making the meatballs into balls and decided to just chuck the meat into the pot in one big clump. Worked out okay for me! : ) Served along side a hunk of crusty bread...now that's what I call "comfort."

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/italian-wedding-soup-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

  1. The soup was awesome! Homemade bread, delicious healthy soup and family to share it with - it doesn't get any better than this(unless of course somebody else does all the baking and cooking).HA!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!