Monday, August 10, 2009

Cannolis, non-traditional style : )

Growing up one of my first recipes to make was from the Nestle Toll house recipe book. Little did I know that this would become one of my most favorite things to make. This is not your traditional cannoli filling recipe...in fact it is very different. It is quite simple to make, and something "different" to have for dessert.

According to Wikipedia..."Cannoli, (plural) in Sicilian, are Sicilian pastry desserts. The singular is cannolo (or in the Sicilian language cannolu), meaning “little tube”, with the etymology stemming from the Latin "canna", or reed."

Cannoli filling:
Adapted from The Nestle Toll house cookbook

1 cup milk chocolate chips
15 oz. ricotta cheese
6 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
2 tbs confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate chips and set aside. I like to melt chocolate chips in the microwave at 50% power for 2-3 minutes.

In bowl cream ricotta with mixer until smooth. Add cream cheese and cream until smooth. Add rest of ingredients, and melted chocolate chips, and blend until smooth. Tastes best after being refrigerated for at least 4 hours.

I usually buy the pre made shells at the grocery store. Alessi makes a good shell. I have tried to make my own shells, but haven't had much luck with that. I fill the shell with filling and then dip one end in chocolate chips, and the other in crushed up pistachios, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.

If you can't find shells, this also makes a nice fruit dip. I have been trying to come up with a thin cracker like cookie that can be dipped in the filling....when that happens, I will post it!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!