Monday, October 20, 2014

Gluten, refined Sugar, and Dairy free Pumpkin Bread that actually tastes good!


I'm getting married in 19 days.

I'm tired.  

My eye is twitching.

I can't sleep at night since I have millions of ideas running through my head...I mean who wouldn't be thinking of table runners and salt and pepper shakers at 2am?

I decided I hated my first dress option, so I bought a second one...haha...yeah I did...and now the mad rush to get it altered asap has begun.

I cry every time I get a negative RSVP from someone I really thought would come to my wedding, and who I really wanted to be there!  Turns out...most people who don't RSVP or RSVP late are not coming...so as we are following up with people this week the tears are more present then ever!  Blah.

Being a bride to be is stressful.  Seems like everyone has this ideal bride image in their head and I feel like people are pushing me to fit into that mold - updo hair, heavy makeup, sparkly high heels, uncomfortable dress that makes your waist look like it got eaten away at by termites and exposes your bare shoulders which makes you most likely to catch a cold or get frost bite.  I would like to say this is all a joke, but it is not - it is real.  I speak the truth.

I am not any of these things.  

I hate my hair up.  I like my hair down - it serves as a protection shield against the world...if I get scared I hide behind it - if I start to cry I can wipe my tears away on it - if I want to avoid conversation with someone I just turn my head and avoid eye contact with them...really, my poofy curly hair is like a secret weapon, and I need it more then ever as I enter into battle against....the WEDDING.

I do not like wearing heavy makeup!  It makes me feel so uncomfortable - makes me feel like I look like a drag queen, and an old one at that!  It makes me feel not like myself, and on my wedding day I would prefer to look and feel like myself...pretty sure my fiance wants to marry me and not some made up version of myself.

Dresses.  Oh Lordy, wedding dresses these days are so uncomfortable!  They are all poofy and princessy, with bodices that break your rib cage, over exaggerate chests, and over exposed all around! Shopping for one made me develop a nervous twitch, and I am glad I never have to do that again!

Now these are all my opinions and feelings - if you like these things and want to be a princess on your wedding day then that is great - wear your hair the way you like, the dress you want, and the makeup you love!  To each their own, and to me this is what I want.

Now in between all this madness and endless appointments I have had some pretty amazing showers thrown for me.  Andrew and I are blessed to have such a supportive community as we begin our married lives together.  My childhood friend and her Mom threw me a shower a few weeks ago, and everything they made for brunch was healthy!  It was so delicious and I ate everything!  Elizabeth was kind enough to share with me her recipe for pumpkin bread that was gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free...it is so tasty!

I made this recipe this weekend and used the second loaf to make french toast on Sunday, which I dipped in the french toast batter then rolled in ground up pecans and coconut...so Yummy.

19 days, and then I get to be married to the most wonderful man in the world.  Keep my eyes on the prize and my heart right with the Lord and it will all be good.  See you on the flip side of this WEDDING! : )



Perfect Pumpkin Bread (ie tasty, but healthy!)
Recipe from Elizabeth Elliott

¼ cup oil (I used canola, but other oils should work too!)
¼ cup coconut/palm/date sugar
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup applesauce
5 eggs
1 small can pumpkin
2 T vanilla

Mix well, then add:
1 ½ cup rice flour
¾ cup oat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 T cinnamon
1 T nutmeg
1 T allspice
1 t cloves


Preheat oven to 350. Pour into 2 loaf pans (or makes approx. 18 muffins).  Bake approx. 20-30 minutes (until top cracks and toothpick comes out barely clean)  

Please note - these spice amounts are correct!  I thought they looked really high, but they make the bread very spicy and delicious - don't skimp on them!  I served this bread with honey butter and then maple butter.  Super good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!