Monday, January 13, 2014

Toasted German Chocolate Brownies


German chocolate cake is my favorite kind of cake - of course it has to be made right and also be made with unsweetened coconut and not that fake coconut flavor infused kind.  I also always like to toast my coconut or nuts if using them in a recipe - it just really elevates the flavor!

Did you know the German Chocolate cake is actually an American cake?  It got its name from a chocolate maker named Sam German, and was originally called "German's Chocolate cake"...how cool is that!  

I am usually always craving a brownie...I mean really - what better thing is there in the world?  I am addicted to these brownies - I made them 4 times during the Christmas season - changing it a little each time.  The first time I used a different brownie base, but found it too sweet and too cake like.  The second time I made the filling and layered it - so brownie base - filling - brownie top.  This was insanely good, but it was messy and didn't hold together all too well.  So the third time I made the brownies and just topped them hot with the frosting.  This was the best version yet!  I love how they are perfectly sweet, crunchy, tons of texture, and chocolate!

I know lots of you are on diets and such, and I truly am sorry for posting this recipe...but the good news is I am hoping to do my next post on home work out videos I like...so hopefully that helps balance it all out!


Toasted German Chocolate Brownies
my original recipe


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line a 9x13" cake pan with parchment. In a medium/large pot melt the following over medium heat:

2 sticks butter
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate or dark chocolate chips, or semi sweet chocolate chips



Once melted remove from heat and add the following and whisk until combined:

2 cups lightly packed brown sugar 
1 tsp vanilla extract

Then carefully and quickly beat in 4 lightly beaten eggs. Be sure to whisk continuously otherwise you will end up with scrambled eggs. Once smooth and combined add 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour and mix just until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 20 minutes until they start to pull away from the edges.


While brownies are baking make the coconut/pecan German chocolate frosting.


1 Cup evaporated milk
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted*
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted*

Combine milk, sugar, and butter in medium saucepan - over medium heat whisk until butter is melted.  Add egg yolks and continuously whisk -  otherwise you will get scrambled eggs.  Stir and cook over medium/high heat whisking constantly for 3-5 minutes until mixture is thickened.  You don't want it to be sticking to the pan!  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, coconut, and pecans.  Cool for 5 minutes.

Once brownies are cooked remove from oven and spread frosting evenly over brownies - be sure to slightly press the frosting down into the pans.  Allow to cool completely before slicing into squares.  

* To toast pecans and coconut - place them on separate trays into the preheated oven for - 3 minutes, stir, put back into oven until slightly toasted...coconut toasts pretty quickly - pecans will take a few more minutes.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!