Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Salty Dogs...and Christmas at our home


I realize most of you are trying to detox from things like this...as am I...but keep this recipe in mind for when you do start baking again!  I vow to post some healthy recipes soon - of course you all know how good I am at keeping my promises. : )

The gang playing Bananagrams Christmas Eve

TRAGIC news from my kitchen...my standing mixer died...just in time for the New Year's resolutions to be healthier - perfect timing, don't you think?  I really am quite sad to kiss this mixer of 6 years goodbye.  It has served me well, and I have no complaints - always recommend it, and am going to buy another one, just in a bigger size and brighter color. : )  KITCHENAID FOREVER!  I was wondering why I couldn't decide on a present that I wanted my parents to give me...and then this happened - so perfect timing all around!  I am stalling on buying a new mixer only because choosing the right color mixer is more taxing than buying a new car!  If you are a guy don't judge me, a girl and her mixer have a special bond you will never understand. : )

Color coordinated sisters - totally unintentional!!!

Now let me tell you about these bars.  As you all know by now the cooking gene skipped my Mom, but thankfully it made it into some of my aunts. : )  Every year we would get a tin of cookies from my Aunt in Louisiana, and every year I quickly picked all of these cookies out of the tin and would run and hide.  They are so deliciously sweet and salty, chewy and crunchy, lovely and wonderful!  They also happen to be really easy and quick to make.  I didn't get this recipe from my Aunt, but found it somewhere else on the Internet...it is delicious, but hers is even better!  This is a great bar cookie to make and freeze for later.  They also ship fairly well if packaged correctly.  Why they are called "Salty Dogs" you may ask?  I know not the reason.  When I hear the term "Salty dog"  I imagine a big hairy dog, wearing a yellow raincoat, aboard an old weather beaten boat, and smoking a pipe.  These bars do not in anyway relate to that scenario. : )

                                                                                             Does she look like a "Salty Dog"?

Do you have friends and family that bring you the same cookies every year?  How awesome are they?  What is your favorite one?  Another one we always get is German Chocolate Brownies - also one I need to post a recipe for.


Salty Dogs
Adapted from the Land O'lakes website

Crust:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 TBS butter
1 TBS water
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts (I used lightly salted, but you can use fully salted or unsalted if you like...you can also use any combination of nuts you like - all pecan, all peanut, all cashew, etc...)

Preheat oven to 350°F.Spray 13x9-inch baking pan, line with parchment paper.

Combine all crust ingredients in large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press crumb mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, place all topping ingredients except mixed nuts in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth (5 to 7 minutes). Stir in nuts until well coated. 

Spread mixture evenly over hot, partially baked crust. Continue baking for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Lift bars out of pan and cut into bars.

I was sick most of Christmas break, so this is how much I helped with the cooking and baking day of...

I hope you all had a wonderful and blessed Christmas and New Year's with your loved ones!
Eat your heart out!

Dagny

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely happy post!! those salty dogs look to die for - great Christmas treat!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary : ) They are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which aunt, and how do I get my hands on the even better recipe? These look great! ~ Colette

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!