Friday, November 16, 2012

Sour Cream Coffee Cake



People always say you can tell a lot about a person by their handshake.  Often I will shake someones hand and they will tell me I have a weak handshake, and that I need to be more firm in my grip.  Doesn't a firm handshake seem manly to you, and doesn't hand shaking in general seem to be such a masculine thing? Call me archaic, but whenever I meet someone new I have to resist the impulse to curtsy.  A curtsy just seems so much more lady like.  Of course I don't do this for 2 reasons: 1)  I am usually not wearing a skirt so I would would just be gripping the air which would be strange 2)  A curtsy now in days would just seem so out of place.  I am just waiting for the day when I slip up and curtsy to someone...of course I am sure it will be someone important...like the Pope : )

Now Thanksgiving is upon us and my littlest brother is about to come home from boarding school for a week, and he loves all things cinnamon.   He called ahead to make sure this coffee cake was on the menu for breakfast everyday he was home, and if I could also send some back with him to school.  Yes, he loves it that much. : )  I posted a muffin version of this recipe a while back, but really it tastes so much better as a cake.  Also, the glaze really elevates the overall flavor of the cake.  If you have a brunch to go to, or a shower of some sort - this moist cake is always a crowd pleaser!



Sour Cream Coffee Cake
adapted from Ina Garten

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 1/4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In mixing bowl cream butter and sugar with blender until light and fluffy -4-5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time until well blended. Scrape down bowl.  Then blend in the vanilla and sour cream. Scrape down bowl and mix again.  Add dry ingredients to wet ones and mix just until combined.  Be sure not to over mix...this will toughen up your batter!!!!

Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased 9x13 pan or a large bunt pan. Sprinkle 1/2 streusel recipe over batter, cover with rest of batter and then the rest of the streusel. Bake 45-50 minutes. Until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely and drizzle with glaze.

Streusel:

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional...I usually don't add the nuts because people here don't like them : )

Mix all ingredients together until combined and crumbly.  I mix mine in a mixer, but you can also use your fingers if you want.

Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
Whisk together until smooth.  If mixture is too thick add a bit of milk to thin it out - just a little bit.


Make this cake, learn the art of proper curtsying from Shirley Temple, and Eat your heart out!

Dagny


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!