Friday, October 26, 2012

Camping in the Great outdoors and Pumpkin Waffles


Stop the presses folks...I went camping!  I hadn't been camping in over 12 years!  The last time I went camping was in the middle of the summer in Texas - it was so miserable, hot, and terrible I swore I would never do it again.  Not too sure how or why I agreed to go on this trip - but it was fun!


Now, don't get me wrong - I am not a sissy diva girl.  I hate the color pink, I never wear heels, I laughed when Rose let go of Jack's hand in the Titanic, and when I break a nail I cry out in pain over the pain of it not because I am sad my nail is broken.  I also love nature...but in a controlled way.  If there is a chance that I will encounter a creepy crawly or a snake I will freak out and run away.  Sleeping on the ground in a tent...hum, sounded uncomfortable...but it wasn't!

Another thing I was worried about was my terrible foodie snob side becoming very obvious to the people I went camping with.  I don't eat pre-packaged foods.  I have to have vegetables at least once a day or I die.  I cry if there is no fruit, and I don't drink milk.  After writing this I take it back, maybe I am a Diva - just not in your typical way. : )  In the end it all worked out - I ate lots of grapefruit oranges, vegetables, and some delicious breakfasts with burnt bacon on the side.  Yum.


The trip was awesome.  We canoed through some pretty swamps- and almost died due to a crazy member of our canoe - no names needed - you know who you are!  We ate lots of camp food - including something new to me called "Hobo pack" - a bunch of meat and vegetables cut up wrapped in foil and cooked over hot coals.  Very delicious after a day out in the sun.  Of course we had smores - how could we not?  We played Mafia around the campfire for a few hours - such a different game when you can't see people's faces blushing.  Overall we had a great time and became one with nature!  Looking forward to camping again sometime this Fall!


Now this recipe has nothing to do with camping - instead it has everything to do with Fall.  You will never guess what special ingredient it calls for...PUMPKIN!  No way - bet you didn't see that one coming : )  Just kidding - I do believe the last few posts all had to do with pumpkin recipes.  What can I say - I love pumpkin!

In other news - this weekend I am throwing a mystery dinner party called "Once Upon a murder" - it is a fairy tale themed party.  I have so much fun planning parties - and can't wait to dress up like Rap-unzel.  Promise to do a post about the party soon!  Stay tuned!  Do you have any fun Halloween plans?


Oh...and a recipe would be helpful too now that I think about it. : )  These are some wicked easy pumpkin waffles to whip up in a flash!  Of course as always I recommend them being served with hot REAL maple syrup and some whipped mascarpone cheese, ricotta, or heavy cream.  I usually make a bunch of extra waffles on the weekend and then keep them in the fridge and toast them throughout the week for breakfast.  Makes a lame Monday so much more bearable! : )  

Deliciously Spiced Pumpkin Waffles
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 2/3 cups milk (almond, coconut, rice, or buttermilk also works here)
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in large bowl. In a second bowl, add eggs, sugar, pumpkin, milk, and butter; beat well. Gently fold in the flour mixture. Spoon in about 3/4 cup of batter into the waffle iron. Cook each waffle for 4-5 minutes. This recipe makes approximately 5 waffles on my waffle iron.

Make these waffles, listen to this song, go camping with your friends, and eat your heart out!

Dagny





No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!