Friday, February 24, 2012

Baked Eggplant Parmesan


With the way I have been cooking you are all probably starting to think I have turned into a Vegetarian.

 Not to worry, not to worry I still eat the way of the meat.  It just so happens to be Lent, and during the season of Lent Catholics do not eat meat on Fridays.  I am Catholic so I eat no meat...and yes, lamb is meat. : ) So I have been making more meatless meals then I usually do.

Do you ever wonder about Vegetarians?  Do you think they have a special bond with animals?  Do you think animals can sense that they don't eat their kind and instantly like them more then carnivores?

These are the things I ponder when cooking vegetarian meals.  Which is by they way not very acceptable in my home.  Usually the men in the house go and get some bacon or ham from the fridge and top my vegetarian meals with it.  "If there ain't not meat in it, I ain't going to eat it.!"

How do you feel about Eggplant?  I think it is the ugly stepsister in the family of vegetables.  I mean come on, what a weird shape it is!  The color however redeems it, along with the outstanding taste and texture it has going on.  I have only recently been convinced that I do in fact like eggplant.  I mourn all those lost years I lived without it.  Don't make the same mistake I did, find and eggplant today and make a renewed commitment to add it to your diet.  You will thank me in the end.

This recipe is lighter then the traditional Eggplant Parmesan where they deep fry the eggplant...which is of course - delicious, but heavy and unhealthy.  This version is equally delectable, and way healthier for your belly.  Make it as your main course, or as a side dish.  Paired with a nice salad it makes a wonderful meal!


Eggplant Parmesan Lightened Up
serves 2-3 people

1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2"slices
1 egg, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
1 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mozerella cheese, shredded or whole - the less you put the heathier it is : )
2 cups Tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Peel, slice, and cut the eggplant, set aside.  In small bowl beat together the egg.  In medium bowl mix together the bread crumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic powder.  Take each eggplant slice and dip it into the eggs covering completely.  Take out of the eggs and let drip for a second, then dip it into the bread crumb mixture.  Coat evenly on both sides.  Place on a greasedcookie sheet.  Continue until all eggplant are coated in bread crumbs.  Bake in oven for 15 minutes until golden on one side and then flip and bake another 10 minutes.  The crispier and the darker the better : )

Once eggplant is cooked remove from oven.  Now assemble the Parmesan!  Place a layer of the eggplant on the bottom of a 8x8 pan.  Cover with sauce and some cheese.  Then repat with another layer of eggplant/sauce/cheese until you run out of eggplant.  Place back in oven and bake 10-15 minutes.

I am soooo very close to buying a camera...I know I have been telling you that for sometime now, but really this time it is true and soon!  Stay tuned for better pictures!!!!  PS.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE FOOT!  YOU ARE AN ADULT NOW...WATCH OUT WORLD HERE SHE IS!

Eat your heart out,

Dagny

2 comments:

  1. Love eggplant parmesan - delish!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I love it in a wrap too : ) So yummy!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!