Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sugar and Spice cookies

Marzipan pumpkin I made...love it.




Oh my goodness...how I do love the FALL! I fall asleep dreaming of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice...and cardamon...oh boy! I have been on a mad hunt for a wicked good chewy ginger spice cookie. My friend who is awesome...and yes she knows it : )...came to my rescue. The recipe she gave me is from America's test kitchen, which is a cookbook that is missing from my collection...that problem will hopefully be remedied by Christmas...hint hint. As soon as she said it called for pepper, I knew I was in for a treat! This is a great recipe! Instead of rolling them in plain white sugar I rolled them in turbinado...or raw sugar...this made the outside of the cookie pretty and crunchy! I have also made pumpkin brownies, pumpkin pancakes, and browned butter chocolate chip cookies in the last few days...tres awesome.

Among other things I came to the realization that I am not as funny as I used to be. I mean, I think I am funny, and I often find myself laughing to myself about things I have said or thought...I crack myself up...but I have realized that my writing has been lacking in the funny department. I hereby promise to be more funny when it comes to my blog. Of course this change will not occur until the next post because I honestly can't think of anything funny to say.

Molasses Spicy Cookies!
Courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp/ cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup-1 cup turbinado (raw sugar) for rolling

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Cream butter and brown sugar 3-4 minutes. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, and molasses.
3. In separate bowl sift together the dry ingredients, including the granulated sugar. Mix into the wet until combined.
4. Scoop out and roll in raw sugar.
5. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes. If you over bake them they will be crunchy. They will still be soft when you pull them from the oven, but worry not, when they cool they will stiffen up.

1 comment:

COMMENT HERE!!!