Monday, August 23, 2010

Sweet Potato Corn Bread


Hum yeah...didn't I just do a post about sweet potatoes? What can I say, I am a sucker for all things yum. According to the national guidelines of how to eat food chapter 21, section W, paragraph 89, "All chili must be accompanied by a large hunk a hunk of this thing known as cornbread." So, as it is my sworn civic duty...and yours...I made some cornbread to go with my chili. We were raised on Jiffy Cornbread in the little blue boxes...we loved that cornbread!!! Whenever my dad would make brunch on random weekends he would make 3 boxes of the Jiffy cornbread...and boom...that was it. No complaints from us, fresh cornbread soaked in a gallon of syrup...who could resist such a temptation? It has been a life long mission of mine to make cornbread from scratch that can compete with the moist and sweet bar that Mr. Jiffy man set for all corn breads. Alas, I have searched far and wide and have found no such recipe. Most call for creamed corn, or lots of cheese to mask the lame dryness it actually is. Thank goodness I finally found a worthy competitor...Sweet Potato Corn Bread. The sweet potatoes keep this bread nice and moist. Of, course the next day it turns to ash...but then it can be made into corn bread dressing or grilled breakfast!

Sweet Potato Corn Bread

In large bowl whisk together the following:
2 cups flour
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar

7 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt

In small bowl whisk together the following and then mix into dry until well combined;
4 eggs
3/4 cup whole milk

1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes*

Pour into greased 13x9 baking pan and bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
This makes a lot of cornbread, so if you are cooking for less then 6 people I recommend cutting this recipe in 1/2 and baking it in an 8x8 pan instead.
*I sliced the sweet potatoes in 1/2 and roasted them in the oven until tender, then scooped out the pulp. You can also use canned sweet potatoes if you want to save time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!