Friday, May 6, 2011

Beignets, fancy fat pills


How about filled with nutella? So divine!
Beignets are fabulous. They are just as unhealthy as a doughnut, but so much better. If that isn't a sales pitch to make these then I don't know what is. We NEVER deep fry at our house, but a few times a year I make the exception when somebody requests Beignets. My sister was home on Spring break and when I asked her what she wanted for her last brunch at home she requested these. In the past I have been a slacker and used the Cafe Du Monde beignet box mix that you can find in most pancake sections at the grocery stores in the South. This time I decided to raise the bar and make the beignets from scratch. It was easy, and it was worth it...well worth it. I used the no knead recipe for Challah from my favorite bread book...Artisan bread in less then 5 minutes a day. I made the dough, let it rise for 2 hours, popped it in the fridge and then the next morning took it out of the fridge and made beignets. Wicked fast! Wicked good! If you are on a diet avoid these...if you are on a diet and want to cheat, make these.

Beignets
adapted from Artisan bread in less then 5 minutes a day

3/4 cup + 1/8 cup lukewarm water
3/4 TBS yeast
3/4 TBS kosher salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Mix the yest, salt, eggs, honey, butter, and water in large mixing bowl. Mix in flour until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 2 hours. Then put in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.

Separate dough into 2 pieces. Knead slightly on floured surface until smooth. Roll out to 1/2" thickness on a well floured surface. Cut into 2" squares and place on parchment lined pan. Let rest and rise for 15-20 minutes.

Heat at least 3" high of oil in large saucepan to 360 degrees. Drop the beignets into pan, a few at a time...do not overcrowd. After a few minutes flip the beignets and cook on the other side. Using a slotted spoon remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining dough. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy hot with coffee.

Please enjoy my first video post! My niece is helping me...she is a professional sous chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE!!!